Sunday, February 11, 2007

Are you finding it difficult to watch your parents age?

My mom seems to be ageless. She has looked - almost the same - for as long as I can remember, and she seems really healthy as far as I can tell. My dad on the other hand has had a lot of health problems, and is now really sick at times, although lately he seems to be doing better.

We've had a really troubled history, my parents and I. For a number of years in the 90s we didn't even speak to each other. They've really mellowed out the past few years and I've also changed - we've become a lot closer.

Last weekend I was over at my parent's house. My little brother still lives at home, but he is saving up to move out of the house. I realized that I want to visit them as much as possible before he leaves the house, because when he leaves the house it will be an empty nest and it will really be like the end of my childhood in a way. I'm sure once he's out of the house it will make them feel really old.

It's weird how all of the things that I used to be so angry about just seem meaningless now. I can just see that our time together on this earth is fleeting, and one day they will not be around anymore. I really don't like to think about those types of things. Me, my brothers and my dad are planning to take golf lessons together. When I suggested it, my dad just lit up. I think any chance to spend some time with his sons these days brings him great joy.

1 comment:

Bobby D. said...

It is all the little things. my parents passed on when I was a teenager, so I never saw them age. I did see an uncle age and felt some relief that my parents did not have to go through long illnesses and alzheimers.

but make memories of little happy things now, they will last you forever!