Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thrift Store Approaches on the 4th of July

The following approaches were done as part of my Day 4 assignment for this boot camp type thing I'm doing called 'The Style Life Challenge', hosted by Style. The Style Life Challenge Day 4 assignment involves approaching attractive women and asking them to recommend a cool clothing store.



Date: July 4, 2006

Location: Urban Outfitters, Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


I walk up to an HB8 blonde looking at t shirts and delivered my canned opener.

me: Hi, I wanted to get your opinion on something?
HB8 blonde: yeah?
me: I have a friend coming into town and she wanted me to take her shopping. I was wondering if you could tell me if there are any cool stores in the area, like this place, but for women?
HB8: Well um. There's that store across the street, I was just there.
me: Cool what's it's called?
HB8: Not sure.
me: Are you familiar with the Lakeview area?
HB8: Yeah why?
me: You know any cool women's stores around there?

Some dude comes up and stands next to her. HB8 look at the dude and asks:
HB8: Honey do you know of any cool stores for women?
Dude: No we're kind of new around here.

I thanks them and detach.

Work on:
I was pretty nervous here, delivering a new canned opener, body language probably wasn't that great. I wuss out whenever there's a dude involved, these guys looked like they were married though. There were a couple of open sets, but I felt so nervous that I walk out of the store without opening them, I should have. It would have probably calmed me down.


Date: July 4, 2006

Location: Used clothing store, Wrigleyville, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


Outside of this used clothing store, I walk up to an HB7 brunette and was about to open her, but I wuss out at the last minute. I catch her giving me a weird look. I walk into the store and look around a little. I walk up to an HB8 blonde hottie looking at sunglasses and deliver my canned opener.

me: Hi.
HB8: hi.
me: I just wanted to get a quick opinion.
HB8: yeah
me: You look like someone who knows where all the cool stores are.
HB8: (eyes light up, smiles widely)
me: I have a friend coming into town and they asked me to take them shopping at the cool thrift shops, do you know any?
HB8: No (smiles) we're not from around here.
me: Where you from?
HB8: Naperville.

I start gaming her, talking about the usual - what you in town for? Naperville? cool!, etc. Man, I had her smiling, or maybe she is just a naturally happy person. But then the HB7 brunette I didn't open outside comes up and says something to her, so I thank her, and detach.

Work on:
I should have stayed in the set, it was a split second decision, I got a little nervous because the HB7 friend interrupted, but I should have pushed on. SBAP. This canned opener is *awesome* - I'm going to use it all the time at thrift shops, and I'm going to adapt it to stores at the mall too.


Date: July 4, 2006

Location: Head shop/bondage shop/clothing store, Wrigleyville, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


I spot the winner for today - this HB9 brunette rocker chick, as I'm flipping through posters at this one shop called the 'Alley'. I was about to turn around and open her, when her long hair boyfriend comes up to her and starts talking to her. So I walk around the store and look at stuff a little more. I'm looking at little buddhist statues and bongs when I spot the HB9 brunette rocker chick by herself again, looking at miniature japanese plants.

me: Hi I just wanted to get a quick opinion on something?
HB9 rocker: hi yeah?
me: You look like someone who knows where all the cool stores are.
HB9: (eyes light up, smiles widely - they love that line) yeah?
me: I have a friend coming into town - he asked me to take him shopping at the cool thrift shops. You know of any?
HB9: (launches into a *long* spiel about all the cool thrift shops in the area, including which stores are the most expensive, while I nod and pretend to take mental notes about all the different stores and where they're located, stopping her at various points to ask her to give specific directions)

It was then that I notice the long hair cro magnon boyfriend standing behind, me, glaring at me. I thank her, and abandon set due to boyfriend intervention. I was vibing her. If she was alone I would have continued the set.

Key points:
Good smile, EC, body language. Nervousness under control.

Work on:
No negs, DHV, C+F. I didn't think of these things as I was in the set. I am working on a cheat sheet right now, should probably practice a little by myself before I go sarging to get these things down. It really helps to have a set routine, although I find the situational opener better in daytime sarging situations.


Date: July 4, 2006

Location: Used clothing store, Wrigleyville, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


I'm at another thrift shop when I spot a 2 set - HB6 brunette with a shaved head, HB6 with long hair, altogether borderline in looks, but I had to finish this day's assignment, so I decide to open them.

me: Hi
HB's: hi
me: I just wanted to get a quick opinion on something?
HB's: yeah?
me: You guys look like you know all the cool thrift shops in the area.
HB's: (eyes light up, smile widely - goddamn, this opener is awesome)
me: I have a friend coming in from out of town, she asked me to take her shopping at the cool thrift stores. You guys know of any? I only know this one because I drive past it all the time.
HB's: Ohhh yeahhh. well there's blah blah blah up the street on Belmont. In fact Belmont has all the really good blah blah, and there's also one in Hollywood Square.
me: So this one is the best? Where's Hollywood Square?
HB's: well blah blah blah and it's up on blah blah and blah ...

5 minute set, man they were smiling. They loved me at the end of the set, I could have stayed in the set gamed them, but to be honest - looks were marginal, and they were possibly giving off the lesbo vibe. I was tired from walking around all afternoon anyway, so I detach.

Key points:
Not nervous during this set, great voice projection, body language, EC, smiling.

Work on:
No C+F, no negs. Wasn't really an opportunity in this situation.

Recommended clothing stores: thrift stores in the Belmont/Clark area

No comments: