Thursday, July 20, 2006

Coffee Shop Chick + Drive-by Bullshit

Date: July 28, 2006

Location: Coffee Shop, Wicker Park, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


This is actually an older approach that I haven't posted yet. utahPlayboy on mASF irc told me 'hired guns do not count!'. perd on mASF irc told me that this one counts, so I don't know who to believe. I did not know that this was a carved in stone rule, so I will post this approach and not post my hired gun approaches anymore, unless I lay them or they're HB strippers.

I walk up to the counter at this coffee shop and order a large decaf. There is an HB7 metal chick with a lip piercing at the counter, looking bored out of her skull. She starts pouring the coffee into a ceramic mug. I decide to try to replicate my 7-11 chick pickup routine on her - I smile mischievously and hold EC for an unnaturally long time. She smiles at me and eventually looks down. It is working again.

me: Oh, can I get it in a paper cup?
HB7 metal chick: Yeah sure. (smiling)
me: I usually get it in a to go glass so you guys don't have to wash dishes later.
HB7: It's no big deal, we're really slow today.
me: (it's a new place, just opened) How's business been?
HB7: It's been really slow.
me: Hey those are awesome tattoos.
HB7: Aw thanks. I drew them myself.
me: Yeah they're traditional but they're still unique. So you do tattoos?
HB7: No I got them at XXX - there's this chick there name XXX that does good work.
me: What's that one. (pointing, kino)
HB7: Oh that one was messed up - there's blurring here. I'm going to get it covered up.
me: What are you going to put there?
HB7: I want to cover it up with this design - (she pulls out a sketchbook with some type of tribal sh*t)
me: You going to the same place?
HB7: No I'm going to the Tattoo Factory in Uptown.
me: That's close to me - did you see they moved?
HB7: Yeah, their new location is a lot nicer.
me: Yeah their old place looked really seedy. I was looking for tattoo shops online, and theirs had the best artwork.
HB7: Yeah check out XXX. She's really good.
HB7: What are you going to get?
me: You know that group Led Zeppelin? I'm going to get that guy with wings done with a lot of detail and color on my back, or arm maybe.
HB7: That sounds nice.

-convo continues: about how sometimes band tattoos are a bad idea, my friend who got a Pearl Jam tattoo on his calf and now regrets it, how her ex got a Sepultura tattoo on his stomach. I made her laugh a couple times. I detach, drink my coffee and surf the internet a little. I come back to the counter about an hour later and order some food.

I start talking to her about how I am going around trying out all of the coffee shops in the city with free wireless internet, and how theirs is by far the best, smoothest coffee - it's actually the truth and not a line. Then I start asking her about the vegetarian menu, and about their vegetarian breads and how they make them. She offers me samples of their pastries. I start talking about her lip piercings. I find out that she is part owner or mangager (something like that?) of the place.

I get my food and hang out for a while, surfing the internet. A half hour or so later I decide to leave and walk up to the counter again on my way out. I tell her that the food was excellent and that I thoroughly enjoyed it there. She asks my name. "Hi I'm nonchalant", we shake hands. "I'm HB7 metal chick". This is where I should have SBAP'd. She gives me an IOI: "I hope to see you back here again". I'll be back. As I'm walking out the door she calls out "byeeee" fairly loudly.

Key points:
Convo was fairly natural, hardly any nervousness. Probably due mostly to the hired gun factor and the fact we were talking about things that were dear to my heart - namely, tattoos, bands, and coffee. I am learning the value of cutting a set off at a high point, then returning to it later on to build it up even more. Good use of kino. Good body language, good DHV.

Work on:
SBAP. I did not SBAP, mainly because I'm fairly sure I have found my favorite wireless coffee shop (and my favorite coffee shop barrista), and at the time I was thinking I didn't want to mess that up. I'm kind of regretting the lack of SBAP. If I got dogged then I would have a hard time going back there, and I want to go back there again. I have been thinking about how I'm going to go back and either a) work this HB again and SBAP or b) work her again and make her my pivot so that I can take dates there and have social proof. Still I deserve to be chastised for my lack of SBAP. No negs, not very much C+F.


Date: July 2, 2006

Location: Gas Station, Lakeview, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


I wake up, throw on a hat, and drive down to the gas station on my way to the gym, to grab a cup of coffee and fill up the tank. When I get there, I find out that they are out of coffee and all they have is the stuff in the capuccino machines. There are 8 flavors of capuccino, I'm standing there trying to decide which one to get - I choose the one that says 'extra caffeine'. I notice that there is an HB7 blonde behind me, waiting for me to finish filling up my cup. I turn around, smile and try to get some EC.

me: hi
HB7: (smiles)

I finish filling up my cup and walk over to where the sugar is. She starts filling up her cup.

me: Hi.
(she turns around)
me: Do you have to put sugar in these?
HB7: No. They're pretty sweet.
me: Yeah. I've never gotten these before.

I was about to ask her if she's ever gotten the Horchata flavor when some dude walks up and starts talking to her. I abort.

Work on:
It was early, I looked like sh*t. I guess I could have 'engaged the group' and been like 'so how do you two know each other?' but I didn't feel like it.


Date: July 2, 2006

Location: Lakeview, Chicago, IL

Solo Sarge


I was out running, I'm walking now during my cool down phase. A little up the sidewalk an HB7 black hottie with a huge afro is walking towards me. I look like sh*t and am sweating bullets. Not my best look, but I figure maybe she is turned on by male sweat. I was wrong.

me: hi (definitely loud enough to hear, even with all the traffic going by)
HB7 black chick: (no EC, keeps walking)

Some drunk dudes in a Camaro drive by, blasting the hip hop. They shout some sh*t to me because they saw me say hi to her. I realize that they were probably shouting sh*t out the window to the HB7 when she was up the street a little bit. I hear them start to shout sh*t at her behind me. So these dudes ruined it for me.

Another brick in my castle.

No comments: