Thursday, January 29, 2009

and the next thing you know you gotta hear it from your brother and the words they sting like a stump of old wasps

Working from home, have to look after N. I have a difficult time getting stuff done on my work from home days as N. is very demanding, I have to check email and do my work as I bounce her on my lap, feed her, change her diapers, entertain her. She's already pooped and threw up on me. So far I've been working for about two hours and I've only managed to check my email. I put a lot of pressure on myself to get stuff done as working from home is a really nice perk that I don't want to lose. N. usually goes to bed around 11-12 and I work the rest of the day til her mom gets home. I also discovered a new trick where I work on the laptop while laying around on the floor with her, playing with her stuffed animals. Seems to work ok for now, at least. I've been having a great week at work, did really well at some meetings early on in the week, boss is pleased. I'm kind of stuck on a problem right now, I hate it when that happens, which is frequently in my line of work. The trick is how resourceful you can be to solve them as quickly as possible.

K. got a fellowship at Yale this summer, full stipend and living expenses and everything - I'm planning to take some vacation and stay with her in Connecticut. It actually sounds fairly boring, although I've never been to Yale. We're both looking forward to Valentines Day and our trip to San Francisco in March. We reserved a table at the Melting Pot, which is a fondue restaurant downtown (K's idea). We should really book the hotel and flights today. What else - I fed N. chocolate sorbet last night, her mom was not pleased. Have been taking this real estate class on Tuesday nights, I've decided to get a real estate license. I want to be in a position where I can make an informed decision about buying investment properties. I think the state requires you take a series of tests, have to research this later after this class is over.

Working out is going badly. Still have not lost the extra 8 lb I gained over the holidays. I've been working out but every once in a while I do little 'cheat' workouts where I run in place at home for a half hour instead of runnning 3 miles outside in the 0 degree weather. This week I pledged to get more hardcore about it. I've been waking up at 5 in the morning to get to the gym, and the past couple of days I've started to get really hardcore about the diet. No more coming in at right around my daily caloric limit - I have to be well below my limit in order to see any meaningful weight loss. Starting to feel hungry and tired all the time, which is a good sign the weight's starting to come off again. The good thing is, I sleep like a baby and I don't stay up all night reading online message boards about hipsters.

Still without my damn laptop - hopefully it will come back in the mail in good shape today or tomorrow. It's difficult to use my desktop linux machine as the desk is uncomfortable. Some new developments with N. - she's getting really good at 'crawling' (well, not really crawling but sort of squirming and dragging herself around the room), she can get in the 'push up position', which is hilarious, her vocabulary is still mainly vowel sounds but she is getting very expressive and chatty. Tonight I have to go to the grocery store, I may bring N., then go to the gym, then our usual Thursday night tv lineup. Trying to keep the tv viewing down to a minimum, except for news - but K. and I have several 'regular' shows now - Lost, BSG, 30 Rock, Kath and Kim. We watch some reality shows whenever they're on but we don't schedule our time around them. This frikking sweater I bought last month seemns tight - I really have to get hardcore with the diet and exercise. I just remembered - not only do I have a 10k race in March, I also have a Junior High 25 year freaking reunion in June. Have to look good for that.

No comments: