Saturday, May 13, 2006

Visualizing My Ideal Self

The discrepency between who I am right now and the type of idealized image I have of myself where I am living my life at the top of my game, is not as great as whatever fear or mental block that has been plaguing me for the past year or so that is keeping me from taking charge of my life once and for all. I have made some progress in some areas - starting therapy was a good decision, already it has helped me to deal with some issues.

It's just been a really difficult year and a half - I have learned some painful lessons, and I am overall in a better place than I used to be, but I have to really check myself as I feel this is a really important time in my life, and many things that I enact now could affect what happens to me in the future. It is time to take charge of your life and do everything you've ever wanted to do for yourself. Time is running out, and one day you will not have enough time left to do these things.

They say the law of attraction specifies that you attract to yourself those experiences that match your beliefs. In the laws of quantum physics, the observer affects that which is observed. You create your own experience of reality from your underlying beliefs.
As Carl Jung said, "Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."

Therefore, learn to meditate and to focus your mind daily on bridging this gap between your current and idealized self. Become intimately familiar with the details of your idea life, so much so that you unconsciously reach for them in your life - until the real and the imagined are one and the same. This takes persistence and focus, daily meditation, it doesn't have to be traditional meditation, you can do this visualization while exercising. And once you have the vision - act! Realize that the greatest resources you have at your disposal are your abilitiy to manage your time, attention and intellect - and that the faster you are able to live your life so that every possible minute is spent in pursuit of some objective that will contribute to your sense of well being and confidence, and further advance you on your path towards self actualization. Make it a game with yourself to try to get more work done in less time, try to remember the most productive time in your life and assume that state in the present.

Who is this person that you want to become?
He is me but, instead of having problems in all aspects of his life, he is transcendent in every area of his life - and well on the road towards self actualization. He has a high level of self esteem and is confident in an unassuming way that is slightly mysterious. He does not have the sense of regret, self doubt, and anxiety that I now have. He is happy, loves others and is loved. He is lighthearted, values knowledge, intellectualism and creativity. His life is multi dimensional. He is never bored or lonely. He moves through his life with an open heart, courage, and a deep sense of purpose.

If you had a perfect life, with no limitations, what would it look like?
For the purposes of this exercise, I won't go into what my ideal life would be 5 or 10 years from now - but rather what my ideal life would be right now at roughly this point in time.

I'd be working at UC, excelling at my job, elevating it to an art form, and possibly taking grad school classes. I'd have called A. and already have that thing straightened out. I will probably not even think of looking for another job for the next year or so, this job is fine - just make it your own. If I left, it would have to be for an exceptional growth opportunity with leadership potential with a company that I personally admired.

I'd have an active social life for my temperment, one in which I associated with high quality people - intellectuals, artists, computer geeks, musicians, writers, exciting people who embrace life and know how to party, masculine guy friends who have an interest in sports that he hangs out with frequently with whom he shares a mutual respect, beautiful and genuine female friends and acquaintances. My ideal self would socialize as often as he wanted to. It would be a fun and satisfying diversion from his real purpose in life - which is self actualization. He would enjoy his experiences dating various women, these experiences will be positive and reinforce his self esteem. If he met someone he truly connected with - he would carry out an exclusive relationship with this person with dignity and a healthy set of personal boundaries.
My ideal self would have an easy and natural way of turning casual acquaintances into close friends. He would be well liked by relatives, old friends, and co workers, and admired for his integrity and personal excellence.

My ideal self will naturally engage in the practice of visualization on a regular basis during exercise. He will attend church on a regular basis. He will constantly journal as he does now in order to stay in tune his beliefs, and to review lessons that he encounters while attempting to improve his life.

My ideal self will be in shape , handsome, and stylish. He will appear to the opposite sex as extremely sexual and attractive. He will be un-self conscious about his appearance. He will live in a correspondingly tasteful and sophisticated place in the city, and drive a masculine yet sleek car. He will have an impressive amount of personal assets in the bank, and in the form of real estate and personal investments. He will have good credit. He will be highly aware of his cash flow situation, constantly adding to his investment knowledge, and adding to his plan for eventually becoming a millionaire.

My ideal self will have several properties throughout the world, and be well travelled. My ideal self will be highly proficient in at least one other language, probably spanish. My ideal self will be well versed in politics, current events, music, technology, economics, investing, art and literature. My ideal self will constantly be reading something. My ideal self will be an excellent guitar player. He will practice quite often, as for him it will be a spiritual release and important outlet for personal expression. He will have many excellent recorded examples of his musicianship and songwriting. He is comfortable playing with others because he is a highly competent player.

Most of all my ideal self will like and support himself. And he will be a good person.

*try to do this ideal life exercise every year or so, but feel free to edit this entry whenever you think of something to add

reference:Steps to Manifest Your Ideal Life
reference:Ideal Life

No comments: