Monday, May 08, 2006

HB8 at family gathering

this is a girl that i've known for a number of years. she is the sister of a friend of my female cousin. when my cousin got married, i was 'paired up' with her in the wedding party, and my cousins were giving me shit about how i should try to get with her. at the time, however, i was with my ex, so i didn't do anything about it and she probably wrote me off as afc/uninterested/whatever. if i was a dj at the time, i probably could have hooked up.

a couple of years pass. we see each other occasionally at family gatherings thrown by my cousin and her in laws. nothing really changes with our relationship - we don't talk much but are not unfriendly, people keep telling me that i need to try to strike something up with her.

HB8 - asian, pretty cute, short hair (only thing physically i really don't like), seems to not have much of a sense of humor or a very exciting personality. but then again i don't really know her that well.

we had a family gathering on saturday - baby shower for my cousin who just gave birth last week. i'm supposed to be the kid's godfather. this girl was at the party with her parents. she spends most of the party sitting at a table with her mom and dad, i don't approach her while she's with her parents. i try to stand around her as much as possible and try to say stuff to her to catch her attention at times:

-hey, do you have a pen i can borrow?
-what is this dish? is it good?
-(my cousin's husband) got cigars for everyone, we're going outside to smoke them - you guys want to come along?

finally i catch her alone at the buffet table.
me: hey i just wanted to say hi
her: (semi surprised look that i'm even talking to her, probably used to me being too scared to talk to her.) hi
me: you're HB8 right? i'm poohead, we were partners at XXX's wedding. how you been?
her: ok

...
short convo that lasts about 5 minutes. we talk about how she has switched jobs, about the new job i got last year, i ask her if she's going to the hospital later to see the new baby, she isn't, i forget the rest - just small talk basically)...

her: (turns to go back to her parent's table) well...
me: (turning back) nice talking to you.

that was it. i didn't get the digits, i didn't even get email. i said 'hi' to her once the rest of the party - was there for maybe an hour and a half more. got a pat on the back from my cousins for talking to her, maybe they will put in a good word. they constantly tell me that this girl is single and that i should try to make a move, so i think they have already put in a good word.

the reason i didn't go for the email addy/digits is because that convo was too short, it just felt like it would be weird asking for it, especially with our parents/friends/cousins there watching us. we will see each other again in a couple of weeks anyways, at which point i plan to talk to her again and probably try to get the digits. not entirely successful sarging attempt, but i think i put in a good effort. i'm only semi into her anyway, and i'll get another chance fairly soon. i was also making c+f jokes with her sister at the party, and i think she probably thinks better of me that i tried to talk to her at least.

No comments: