Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Eulogy

Thank you for helping us say goodbye to my dad.  We all loved him.  My dad was an irreplaceable person, things will simply never be the same now that he's gone.
My dad was a great man, a brilliant man,  who brought his family to America and gave us a life full of opportunities.  As a physician he helped countless people throughout the years, and saved many lives.
He taught us to value intellectualism, hard work, and achievement.  I was such a hard headed kid growing up, and caused so many problems for my parents.  I feel like I spent my life either rebelling against him or trying to make him proud of me, either way he was the most important relationship in my life.
A friend told me - Noone will be able to understand your loss, not even your siblings, because they remembered him and experienced him differently.  I remember him teaching me to swim in the pool in the backyard of our old house, going with my dad as he made his rounds at the hospital, going on long drives across the country on our vacation trips - while he quizzed us about geography and current events.  We had a difficult time talking to each other about certain things, my dad and I.  I remember when Nina was born last year, feeling happy that he hung on long enough to meet his granddaughter,  I guess one of the reasons I had Nina was to tell my dad that I loved him.  I remember a man who put all his hopes and dreams for the future into his sons, who wanted above all that we use our talents to do something great with our lives and not just be ordinary men.  I feel like I'm still chasing that dream, and i probably will for the rest of my life.

No comments: