Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Leave your footprints and we'll shame them with our words

I was thinking of terminating this blog to start another blog about being a husband and a dad. I decided to keep this blog going though - I've grown kind of fond of it, although it's not exactly presentable to other people. There's way too many private thoughts in here that I wouldn't write in a blog that I would send out to family members or potential employers and such. Maybe that's why this blog has been so therapeutic, though.

This blog was always about 'willing my ideal life into existence', anyways, although in the early days it was more about going out to the bars as much as possible and 'doing sets'. I'm having a hard time remembering exactly how that makes you a better person. Right now it seems to me that I would've been better off staying at home, working on my programming projects, watching my money and such than going out to the bars to meet girls. It seemed like the thing to do at the time though, and I would never have met my wife.

So I'm married now. We had a courthouse wedding on Valentine's Day. The Skokie courthouse is a very romantic place to get married, let me tell you. It seemed like the only people there were either dressed up to get married or juvenile delinquents waiting for their day in court. There hasn't been a lot of time to write, there's just so much stuff going on. L. and N. stayed the weekend after the wedding, we took them to the aquarium and to the ESPN Zone. That was fun. There've been a lot of parties and get togethers, another sure sign of spring coming. H. threw an Oscars party, C. threw a party for us the other week, J threw a party last weekend, then we all went out to the Hawks game and out to dinner. Life feels happy and full. I'm getting along better with my brothers, I cherish all these new friends as if I've known them all my life.

I love my wife. Every day I love her more. Yesterday we went to see the OBGYN again, he told us we were doing fine and our baby's heartbeat was healthy. Afterwards we went shopping at Water Tower and ate at Food Life. I love Food Life, I don't understand why my dad hates it so much. Maybe it's the cafeteria tray thing, but I like it, I'm not very high maintenance. I got the stir fry tofu and frozen yogurt for dessert. Afterwards, we went home and she talked on the phone with her mom while I strummed my new acoustic guitar. Then I had K. sing songs while I played. Then we went to bed. I thank God every day for my life, and how great it is that I get to sleep next to this woman every night. I get up in the middle of the night sometimes, and kiss her on the cheek, and rub my baby in her stomach. I have happy but absurd dreams about Batman crashing his car into someone's backyard while being chased by slapstick butlers carrying silver trays.

1 comment:

Resilient said...

Hey nonchalant keep in touch if you start a new blog. You're one of the few guys I still talk to.

I've been in the same boat lately about abandoning my blog because of my PUA past, but decided to just adjust my focus.

Congrats on getting married, you'll have to tell me what it's like to be a husband and father to be.