Thursday, January 28, 2010

Like spun glass in sore eyes

Downloaded the demo of AD plugs - you only get bass hh cymbals and snare - no toms or anything but it's still fully usable. AD is pretty sweet, I'm definitely going to get it. Messed around some more in Logic, learned about sidechaining - a mixing technique that gets mentioned a lot in the Logic literature - turns out it's something that's used extensively in techo music, I probably won't use it. Also learned about how to make the stock string samples in Logic sound better using multipressor + space designer and tweaking velocity sensitivity esx24, so maybe I won't have to buy a string sample plug. It's really easy to get caught up in the sequencing at the expense of songwriting I think - but I have to learn at least some of this stuff if I want to make decent sounding demos. I probably don't need to become the next Squarepusher or anything.

K. really liked the stem I played her yesterday - a variation on Pacbel's Canon in D, which sounds really nice. I feel bad that a. it's mostly tweaked loops and b. that it's Pacbel's Canon melody so it's not very original although it sounds really cool. Don't know whether I should pursue this stem or not, but I'll just keep it around.

No comments: