Monday, October 29, 2007

Only fools are enslaved by time and space

I had a dream last week where I knew that a bomb was going to drop on my house - a big fat cartoonish bomb falling straight down on my house. And I was moving everything out of the way. I forgot what happened next, but I woke up thinking something's gonna happen, I just didn't know what. When I got a call from J. I knew what it was going to be before I spoke to him - my dad had to go to the hospital for heart related problems. They wanted to do an angiogram on him, but there were complications due to his diabetes medicine, so they had him on various treatments over the weekend to prepare him for an angiogram this morning. I spent the weekend at Northwestern Memorial downtown sitting at my dad's bedside with my mom, M., and my brothers. K. would drop me off and go back to my place to do her homework. I'd come home at night, we'd watch Lost then fall asleep.

Today I got up early, J. and my mom picked me up to go to the hospital to be there when my dad had his angiogram. They told us that the angiogram would tell us what they should do next: 1. best case scenario, an angioplasty, 2. second best scenario, bypass surgery 3. worst case scenario, they fit him with a pacemaker and fibrulator and send him home and put him on the list for heart transplant surgery.

We just got the results - he has to have triple bypass. I guess it could be worse. My mom's pretty much freaking out. My brothers and dad are surprisingly upbeat, I am too I guess. I feel numb, I told John during my therapy session on Saturday that I just want them to do whatever they're going to do so we can bring him home. Then we'll make him eat well and force him to exercise, and I'll come home more often so we can play golf and he can get his walking in. I feel like everything in my life has been put on hold until I they finish with the surgery. This is the worst time for something like this to happen to someone in my family, I guess it's always the worst time for something like this to happen.

No comments: