Monday, March 07, 2011

Last day at my old job

The company threw a party for me on my last day, I got to invite around 20 of the people I worked with most closely at XX, and even more people I had forgotten came to wish me good luck. They bought an ice cream cake. I didn't do anything on my last day except clean out my desk, attend my party and BS for the last time with old colleagues. Not surprisingly, everyone seemed disgruntled at the current administration and a little jealous that I was (supposedly) moving on to bigger and better things at another organization. T. seemed shocked that I was leaving so abruptly, R. seemed shocked that it only took me less than a week to find a new job. I was surprised at the amount of people who attended my going away lunch and the amount of support - I didn't know I was that well liked. When I left the building on my last day at work, the permanence of the life change that was happening suddenly dawned on me, and I had to catch my breath for a minute. I'm not going to miss that job, but I'll miss that time in my life despite all of its inherent problems. I'll never be that person again.

No comments: