Monday, February 28, 2011

New job, life changes

So much stuff has happened to me and my family in the past few weeks, I feel like I need to write it all down, despite the fact that blogging seems like a chore lately. The big news is that I got a new job, contract position with XXX. I got a call out of the blue from a recruiter a week and a half ago, had a phone interview over the weekend, and I had a job offer a couple of days later. It's been very quick. I accepted right away but spent most of last week second guessing my decision. I feel like I made the right decision, though.

Definitely staying at my current job will be bad. They are laying people off here, so who knows how secure my position here really is. I can also continue to feel frustrated in my current role and lack of career development here, I've decided that that situation will not change, despite how much I complain about the situation. At least I will be getting a raise and going someplace where I'll have a chance to develop my skills and resume experience.

It will most probably be difficult, though. The new job is in Hoffman Estates, which is a pretty far commute. We only have one car right now so I'd have to take public transportation. I will be commuting for at least an hour longer than what I'm used to. And probably the most difficult aspect of the new commute is that it will be harder for K. to take care of the kids before and after work now that I'll be leaving earlier and coming home later. I'll also miss out on some time that I could spend with the kids before they have to go to sleep. We may have to buy a second car if the commute is too much, right now I'd rather take the train as it forces me to focus on my reading and studying.

I'm nervous about it. I was pretty hard on myself last week, for being indecisive, for putting my family in a situation where they have to sacrifice for my career, when I feel like I should be able to make their lives easier by now. I have a wonderful and supportive wife, that's all I can say. I really want this job to be a new start for me, I want to do well there and I will work as hard as I need to to make sure that happens. And I'll continue to study for my certifications outside of work to insure that my career continues to develop.

Read 'The Now Habit' recently, it's been almost a life changing book for me. I'm struck by how much perfectionism and procrastination are related to bad sense of self worth. Been making it a point to engage in compassionate self talk with myself, to the extent that I'm almost having conversations with myself in public. It feels a bit silly sometimes.

Weather's cold - low 30's. I've been running again though. Times are bad due to all the ice on the ground. I'm losing weight again though. I think as long as we try not to eat out as much as possible, and I bring lunches to work and continue to work out, I'll be down to my good weight again soon.

K. told D. that we need to be released from our current lease as we need an extra room to accomodate J., and I need to be within walking distance of the Metra station. D. said ok, so chances are we will be moving to a new house either in Bucktown or Old Irving sometime in the next couple of months. I feel like my life has been one major life change after another every couple of months ever since I met my wife. I have to admit that - other than my dad's death a couple years ago - most of these life changes have been good and my life is steadily improving.

No comments: