Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Have a banana

Not a disastrous live performance debut last night, but not spectacular either. One guy got up and did a couple original songs that were really good, my performance couldn't compare to something like that. I don't have much in the way of songs, maybe it would be easier to do this like:

Write songs all along, make that the primary activity or at least spend a day or two a week working on originals. The sooner you have 10-12 originals the sooner you can play a 10-12 song show of all originals which is the goal anyway. Maybe avoid playing live until you have done so much else and are so confident in your playing and material that - not that you won't have any problems, but that you've already done so much else that you pretty much have to take on the issue of performing. I think youtube videos would be a good outlet right now. Maybe write originals, practice covers, make vids of performances - once you have 30 or so vids, then make sure you have 10-12 originals, or maybe around 5. Enough for an album or an EP although you won't want to finish the album until after you have performed live a few times and are really comfortable with playing live. Then maybe write a few more songs and call it an album.

I'm going to write a youtube artist I've been following for a while now and ask her how she did it. I was pretty down last night, I guess I expected to floor everybody I didn't anticipate there not being a mic and PA so nobody could really hear my fingerpicking, and I didn't work on any strumming type songs. I'm going to keep trying, I have a new class next week which should be cool.

Another idea - a blog as an album website.

No comments: