Tuesday, August 28, 2007

All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.

That exam was ridiculous, the prof pulled a 5 year old exam out of his archives. At least 45 percent of the exam weren't part of my study notes. The programming examples were in C++, not Java. I complained about the exam but I guess there's not much I can do. I shmoozed him a little before I left. I'm really glad that class is over though. I'm excited about being able to spend more time on my personal projects and getting ahead at work. Last night I crashed the minute my head hit the pillow, K. kept nudging me going 'hey let's do it!', but I wouldn't wake up according to her. Oh yeah I bought a new guitar on eBay btw - I sold my Jackson and bought an Ibanez S470. Can't wait til it arrives in the mail. My boss also tells me I'm getting a new Macbook Pro, I should be rocking when that arrives in the mail in a couple weeks.

I don't know why I'm including this dialogue from Trainspotting, probably the recurrent thoughts of mortality that keep running through my head.

Sick Boy: It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.
Renton: What do you mean?
Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it... and then you lose it... and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...
Renton: Some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just... shite.
Renton: So who else?
Sick Boy: Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley...
Renton: OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?
Sick Boy: All I'm trying to do is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.
Renton: What about The Untouchables?
Sick Boy: I don't rate that at all.
Renton: Despite the Academy Award?
Sick Boy: That means fuck all. It's a sympathy vote.
Renton: Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?
Sick Boy: Yeah.
Renton: That's your theory?
Sick Boy: Yeah. Beautifully fucking illustrated.

No comments: