Monday, May 26, 2008

I'm Fat - 10 pounds by my birthday/Running workout

It's time I accept that I'm fat. My current 'weight loss' plan of tracking my points on weight watchers and working out at the gym haphazardly is just not cutting it. I lose a few pounds here and there, but over the past year my weight has remained relatively stable. It also doesn't help that I'm living with a pregnant woman who is eating double the amount of normal calories and is fond of chocolate and ice cream. Some days I just give in and eat whatever my wife is eating, it's certainly a lot more pleasurable.

I gave up for a while - for the past few weeks I haven't been tracking my points and haven't been going to the gym. My intense cardio work outs at the gym at the beginning of the year have also sort of tapered off.

I will probably not be able to lose a lot of weight in time for our wedding party - but that doesn't mean I should be a fat slob for the rest of my life. I have too much self respect to let my physical appearance continue to deteriorate, in the end it will also be better for my career, relationships, etc. as well as my self esteem.

I've decided to get on a running work out, and possibly compete in a 5k by the end of summer, I'll try to run as much as possible outside because I hate the treadmill. I take my inspiration from my friend B. who got a treadmill for Christmas and now is competing in half marathons and looks fierce. I have decided to cut down on the weight training, it just makes me look bulky, makes it difficult for me to lose weight, and it was never my goal to look like a body builder anyways. I like a slim build with some muscle tone. My plan is to use 2 resources online: running.about.com for training info and mapmyrun.com to log my training.

Here's my training schedule for the next 8 weeks.

5K Advanced Beginner Training Schedule

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1 Rest 1.5 m run CT 1.5 m run (race pace) Rest 2 m run 30 min EZ
2 Rest 2 m run CT 1 m run (race pace) Rest 2.5 m run 30 min EZ
3 Rest 2 mi run CT 1.5 m run (race pace) Rest 2.5 m run 30 min EZ
4 Rest 2.5 m run CT 1.5 m run (race pace) Rest 3 m run 35-40 min EZ
5 Rest 3 m run CT 1.5 m run (race pace) Rest 3.5 m run 35-40 min EZ
6 Rest 3.5 m run CT 1.5 m run (race pace) Rest 4 m run 35-40 min EZ
7 Rest 3 m run CT 1.5 m run (race pace) Rest 4 m run 40 min EZ
8 Rest 3 m run CT or Rest 2 m run Rest Rest 5K Race!

No comments: