Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I don't know what this means

I'm in my old car - a 2003 Jetta right around the time when I turned it in at the end of my lease. By that time the car was in very bad shape - there were a lot of 'dings' on the body, I think some major ones on the bumper, of course I had not been washing it or cleaning it on a regular basis so the inside was a mess - trash everywhere, some tickets, some bills, some important mail. At the end of my lease on that car I was so preoccupied with my Masters thesis that I let pretty much everything else in my life slide - including keeping up with the maintenance schedule on my car. I believe I was almost 10000 miles overdue to have the oil changed on that car, and it squeaked and grinded loudly whenever I drove it. People who rode with me would say, 'dude you should really change the oil'. Anyways that was my car. This was not a dream, it was more of a 'vision', although I don't remember when I first started having this vision - perhaps it's just me trying to motivate myself, which is alright because it's a positive vision. I've driven my car out to the middle of nowhere, I'm picturing I've driven it out to a dusty road in the middle of central Illinois, someplace where there are just cornfields and nature as far as the eye can see and not much else. I stop the car and I pull over at the side of the road.

Then, my wife and baby get in, fasten their seatbelts and car seats - and I begin to drive again. We drive a long way, into new landscapes that I do not recognize, but we seem to be following some internal sense of direction. Along the way the car changes until we are driving in a brand new car that smells inside as if it was just driven off the lot.

No comments: