Saturday, October 07, 2006

Surging - It's kinda like a business...

I wake up today with a massive hangover. I had five beers last night, which is a lot for me since I am not a huge drinker. I usually only have one a night if that. First thing I do is check my email, my laptop freezes on me so I hit the power button and attempt to reboot. It hangs during the reboot process for several minutes and I realize that my laptop is busted. Losing my laptop is equivalent to the Def Leppard drummer losing an arm or Beethoven going deaf - so of course I freak. I spend the morning with a hangover, trying all kinds of repair maneuvres with the AppleCare guys on the phone, none of them work and they tell me to take it into the Apple Store and talk to the mac genius. So I take it to the Apple store, and the guy tries a few things before telling me I will have to try erasing and reinstalling everything, which means I lose everything that was on my computer. This wasn't a big deal I guess, I just had some audio books on this computer and some mp3's I hadn't backed up yet. I'm more upset that I wasted a day trying to get my computer running again when I had a bunch of crap I wanted to do today. It's back up and running and I'm typing this out on a fresh installation of os X on my laptop.

My therapist tells me that the psychological effects of alcohol can linger for days after the actual drinking happens. I am feeling a little run down, and today my state was all over the place. I still have a bit of a headache, and my body feels dehydrated. I totally didn't need this laptop crap to happen today. It's just been a crazy week and I wanted to get some responsible adult stuff done today, instead I have to drive all over the place and hunt down all the dvd's with my digital audio applications on them so I can reinstall my shit. JCB wanted to hang out tonight at this place Central, but I cancel due to this computer crap and my hangover.

I have a couple of nights of sarging, er - surging :P, in the words of Diva - to report. Me and Effect went out on Thursday to the old reliable Wicker Park. It was Thursday but the place just seemed dead. Hardly any people around compared to the summer. Maybe it's the change of seasons. Thursdays are usually good nights, though, I'm hoping this trend reverses itself soon. We decide to drive a half hour out to Rogers Park and pick up the Photographer to go to this place Morseland and hit on some Loyola girls. This was a huge mistake. The Photographer decides to be a massive pussy and stay home, and Morseland is deader than a doornail. By the time we decide to abandon Morseland it is already past midnight. We curse the Photographer for ruining our night and decide to just hang out at Clarke's and then go home.

At Clarke's Effect is ruthless and uses peer pressure to force me into opening sets at the diner, so I go table to table asking girls if they know any good late night clubs, and if they think a man having six cats is feminine. One of them is cute - she is in a 3 set at a table, and I realize one of the 3 is her mom, who is like 50 years old! I feel like a pedo, and eject, even though the girl is cute and volunteers the information that she just moved here from out of town and is a student at Roosevelt. I also open these two blonde sorostitutes who give me some patronizing attitude, so I eject. I didn't want to go the whole night without pushing myself a little. As I am fond of telling Effect, if you BAP and don't approach, you just wasted a night of your life and you haven't grown at all. In fact, you have regressed into BAP-dom.

Friday was a rough day at work and I drive over to Wicker Park and meet up with Effect immediately after work. We are excited about this new idea for a business venture. I will expound on it in this journal if it takes off past a certain point, right now it is in the planning stages. It has a lot of potential as far as both making money and meeting women goes, put it that way. The little gears in our brains are turning about all the money we'll make and company cars and so forth. I do a preliminary set of these 3 artsy chicks at McGearty's and head over to the Flatiron building for First Fridays at Around the Coyote. The place is semi dead, although there were some HB's there. There was a lot of free food and alcohol, which we helped ourselves to. We drank a lot and discussed our business plans surrounded by these art installations I didn't really understand and some hipster dj guy played stuff like LCD Soundsystem and Fleetwood Mac.

I am well on my way to getting drunk when we drive over to Life During Wartime night at Darkroom. The place is not very busy when we walk in, so I start up a tab and we continue our drinking binge. As we drink, more people come in, but they are mostly dudes. The girls that are there are mostly UGs as well. I don't know what's up with the bars lately, but, being process oriented rather than goal oriented, I have to get some approaches in. Me and Effect play this game where I point to someone at the bar and he has to go and approach her, then we switch and I have to do the same. I wind up approaching a few UG's - this one french girl I approached before, who seemed really shy and flattered when I approached her and asked her if I knew her from somewhere. This one blonde chick who looked good from the other end of the bar but up close was rather large. This two set of really tall but pretty black chick with an afro and her blonde friend who was semi fugly. And this really bitchy Indian chick who wasn't even attractive that totally blew me out.

Apparently JayDog is getting action from lovelypurdyflowers. I guess that's cool, but what about our surging?? Afterwards we went to (the other) Clarke's, and I drunkenly attempt to catch the attention of some redhead girl at the next table by asking her to pass the ketchup and pass the salt. I came up with some diner game, which I plan to use: Hey can you pass the salt/ketchup? and Hey, you gonna eat those fries? I think I will have to be really drunk to use these situational openers, like last night. Sometimes the game is a little frustrating when I'm not feeling it. This was just a night on the town getting drunk with my bud. I will not give up the game, though - those nights when everything comes together and I meet someone I connect with are what I live for. I also know that one day I will strike up a random conversation with someone, and realize that this may be the person for me.

234 approaches

1 comment:

Resilient said...

Yeah... alcohol always screws up the sarge man. You should read how I nearly f-closed a day2 on WSA a week ago in my DR.

I killed the logistics when the HB, guy roommmate, venue changed to her place for more alcohol drinking that ultimately made me pass out when I already had her buying temperature up with kino compliance(tummy rubs, hugs, smiles) at the bar. There is still potential there, but I'm pretty sure she's just an AW.

If you're having problems staying in state, you might try reading affirmations, watching a comedy before you go out, or switching up your wings.